The UPSC exam is challenging, but you can clear it if you study well and work on yourself. When it comes to exams, you don't have to be a bookworm, but there are some things you should keep in mind, such as using quality books rather than those that don't provide you with much information. The IAS examination, also known as the civil service examination, is not only a prestigious but also a demanding one that requires detailed preparation.
We have made certain that you are aware of some good books that can assist you in scoring well and passing the examination.
What is the significance of good IAS textbooks?
- There is a lot of solid material available online and offline, and picking the best one is tricky.
- Candidates must choose the best books to help them score well and prepare for the UPSC IAS exam.
- The NCERT books are the top recommendation of IAS toppers because they help students acquire basic knowledge.
- The best book for UPSC exam preparation varies from candidate to candidate because it depends on the candidate's knowledge and the subject of choice.
- Candidates should not only be familiar with the books but also prepare separately for the IAS preliminary and main examinations, and they need to be focused.
- Lets's dive into the list.
The best Books to read for IAS preparation
We have compiled a list of the best books, other than NCERTs, that can help you gain clarity and a firm grasp on the fundamentals of your subject of the UPSC Exam.
- This book is also known as the "political bible."
- It provides a comprehensive overview of the subject that you will be studying.
- This book will help you score well in both the prelims and mains. If you read it several times, it will help you to clear your basic concepts also.
- This is one of the best-selling UPSC preparation books, and the author, M Laxmikanth, is a political science graduate with years of experience training UPSC exam candidates.
- This UPSC book covers all major events, from the formation of the sovereign state to global issues.
- This book is the first choice of students preparing for any competitive examination.
- The author of this book is a retired professor who is an academician and historian who has received the Padma Shri award.
- Pushpesh Pant is a retired Jawaharlal Nehru University professor of international studies.
- This book is an in-depth look at our country's diverse culture and art.
- It covers everything you need to know about Indian paintings, arts, music, architecture, and so on for the prelims and main exams.
- The author of this book is a former chartered accountant who is now a civil servant.
- He advises how to do well and understands the subject of people who want to be like him.
- This book is written from a policy standpoint and covers all the major challenges the country is currently facing in its foreign policy.
- Aside from that, the book examines the most recent trends in foreign policy formulation.
- Rajiv Sikri, the author of this book, is a career diplomat with 36 years of experience in the Indian Foreign Service, and this book has the essence of his knowledge.
Economy development and policy in India by Jain and Ohri
- This book is part of the Bachelor of Arts/Master of Commerce graduate curriculum.
- This book lays the groundwork for the country's major economic policies after independence.
- This book is beneficial in all competitive examinations, including the UPSC.
- T R Jain and V K Ohri are both economists who co-authored a number of books that are part of the CBSE and UGC curriculum and are good books.
- This is an economics book that shows how the growth and development of the country's economy have changed over time.
- This has a lot of flowcharts, tables, examples, and graphs to help people understand it better.
- The major topics covered in the book are economic diplomacy, interactions between diplomacy, energy security, defence, and foreign organisations.
- The author of this book is a civil servant with a postgraduate degree in economics.
- The book is a reference to India's geographical landscape, and it provides a detailed description of it.
- This book contains maps, data, and statistics about the country's geographical positions.
- This book is now in its ninth edition, which has been changed to reflect changes in Jammu, Kashmir, and Ladakh.
- This book also includes government plans and initiatives. Majid Hussain, the author, is a well-known geographer and teacher.
- An atlas is a must-have for UPSC aspirants, and the Oxford Atlas is the best and most recommended one available.
- This atlas contains a wide range of comprehensive ideas printed in high quality.
- The accuracy and depth mentioned in the book are perfect and can be used by researchers.
- This book is a most valuable and great help for aspirants who choose geography as an optional subject.
- McGraw-Hill publishes this book McGraw-Hill, which explains the significant environmental issues and offers workable solutions.
- This book provides answers to disaster management-related questions that are important in CSE.
- Dr Ravi Agrahari's book covers the complicated syllabus in a single volume.
- This book provides a detailed description of the major elements of physical geography, vegetational regions, and global climatic zones, as well as their relationships with human geography.
- This book also includes many local examples, which speed up and simplify comprehension.
- The book includes questions and exercises that greatly help aspirants prepare for the respective competitive examinations.
- This book by GC Leong is essential for UPSC aspirants.
Subba Rao and P.N. Roy Chowdhury on Ethics, Integrity, and Aptitude for the Civil Services Main Examination
- This book is one of the most comprehensive and frequently updated books on these subjects available.
- This book includes solved papers, confidence-boosting techniques, writing techniques, and other resources.
- The book, co-authored by G. Subba Rao and P.N. Chowdhury, is the best seller for UPSC or any equivalent examination.
- McGraw-Hill publishes this book, which very well discusses the country's internal security and contemporary issues.
- The fourth edition of this book includes the new social media code, the current state of Jammu and Kashmir, internet restrictions in India, the effects of COVID-19, and other topics.
- Vipul Anekant DANIPS and Ashok Kumar IPS co-wrote this book about the country's internal security challenges.
Bipan Chandra, Mridula Mukherjee, and Aditya Mukherjee's India After Independence ( Book of History)
- This book is a follow-up to Mridula Mukherjee, Aditya Mukherjee, and Bipan Chandra's India's Struggle for Independence.
- This book looks at the country's problems and successes after it got rid of British rule.
- This book tells the story of five decades, including the political and economic agenda; the information about foreign policy during the Nehru regime is also mentioned.
India's Independence Struggle by Aditya Mukherjee, Sucheta Mahajan, Mridula Mukherjee, Bipin Chandra, and K N Panikkar-History
- It is not possible to prepare for the UPSC examination without first studying history and the independence struggle.
- The book by Aditya Mukherjee, Sucheta Mahajan, Mridula Mukherjee, Bipin Chandra, and K. N. Panikkar is the best subject because the authors are all well-argued historians.
- The book's text provides a detailed picture of 1857 to 1947.
- This book is made up of primary sources as well as in-depth descriptions of everything.
- This was a history textbook that was first published as a book named India's Ancient Past.
- The book has the text that journeys through neolithic and chalcolithic times to the Harappan Civilization, Vedic times, and the rise of the Mauryas and Guptas.
- The rise and fall of empires, the Varna system, technological and scientific advancements, commerce, and trade are just a few topics this book covers.
- The person who wrote this book is an expert on ancient history who knows a lot about it.
- This book mentions the history of the Indian subcontinent between the 8th and 18th centuries.
- The series of invasions and the major economic and social changes that occurred as a result of these invasions are well explained in this book.
- Satish Chandra, the author, is a well-known historian and retired JNU professor.
- This book examines the major events of the modern era, as well as their impact and outcomes.
- The language used in this book is simple and easy to understand.
- This book is popular not only among aspirants but also among history buffs as it has things mentioned in detail.
- Norman Lowe is the author of this book, and he is a historian and teacher with over three decades of experience in this field which makes this book very useful too.
- This book was published by Rajiv Spectrum and delved into the arrival of the Portuguese in the country and other related events.
- This book took the reader to the point where the Europeans gained complete control of the Indian Subcontinent and exploited the country.
- The fall of powerful emperors and their well-being kingdoms and details appear as subjects in this book, making it useful.
- This is a book about culture. Learning about India's diverse culture and traditions can be time-consuming.
- This UPSC book comprehensively guides our country's art forms, architecture, intellectual traditions, literary beliefs, and myths.
- This book also includes a variety of solved and unsolved question papers for students to practise on.
- It is then edited by subject matter experts and published in Spectrum.
- In this book, the most important court cases that had a big effect on society and the country's entire legal system are talked about in detail.
- These various Supreme Court decisions paved the way for several changes in the constitution and are very significant.
- The book's author is a mentor and civil service exam trainer.
UPSC books online
- Currently, candidates can download e-books, which are widely available and provide numerous benefits to candidates.
- Because different subjects need different books, and aspirants can't carry all of them at once, these online books are beneficial.
- Many people have access to these online books, and candidates can access them anywhere and anytime.
- Candidates can easily transport these online books in pdf format on their laptops or tablets.
- Today, these e-books are viral because, thanks to technology, candidates can get access to the desired information in minutes rather than spending hours going through every unnecessary detail.
- The NCERT books, monthly magazines, and other important books are easily available in pdf form on the internet, and candidates can easily access them.
UPSC is our country's most prestigious examination, and it isn't easy to clear. When getting ready for this, the candidate who wants to accomplish it must study regularly and focus on all the subjects.
To properly study the subjects, you will require good books for UPSC preparation with important information rather than useless information that will waste your time. In this article, we have attempted to cover all of the important information about the books that you can use to prepare for the UPSC examination from various sources.
Share and subscribe to the blog by email.